SCHAUMBURG, Ill. – July 16, 2012 – The Motorola Solutions Foundation, the charitable arm of Motorola Solutions, Inc. (NYSE: MSI), today announced the recipients of its 2012 Innovation Generation grants. Since 2007, the program has provided $30 million in support of science, technology, engineering and math (STEM) education programs, supporting more than 300 school, museum and nonprofit programs across the United States. The Innovation Generation grants program funds organizations that ignite passion and interest in STEM subjects and careers for teachers and U.S. preschool through university students – especially girls and underrepresented minorities.
- This year, the foundation provided $4.9 million in grants to 87 organizations across the United States. The 2012 grants will affect more than 178,000 students and teachers, providing nearly 18 million hours of science experiences for the 2012-2013 grant year.
- The grants were awarded in two categories:
- Local Impact Grants target innovative, hands-on STEM education programs for U.S. elementary through university students and teachers, such as the Chicago Conservation Corps Club Action Projects, which support student-led environmental/sustainability improvements on school grounds through investigation, implementation of quantitative audits, and research focused on environmental best practices.
- National Partnership Grants support large-scale, multi-regional STEM education programs that impact at least 150 primary participants, such as the American Society for Engineering Education, which will distribute 1,000 “Engineering Go For It” teacher kits to 60 schools in communities nationwide.
- In a recent graduation speech, President Barack Obama said, “The nation that excels in science and math and technology… is going to be the nation that rises to the top in the 21st century.” Together with its network of Innovation Generation grantees, the Motorola Solutions Foundation helps provide an environment for students to excel in STEM through hands-on, interactive experiences.
- In an effort to target girls and young women, a group often underrepresented in STEM careers, 22 percent of the grants will support girls-only programming, such as the Girl Scouts of the USA’s after-school robotics program.
- Most grant programs will take place in communities where Motorola Solutions has facilities (Illinois, Florida, New York, Texas and California). However, 23 percent of the grants will support nationwide programs that have the capability of reaching almost anywhere in the United States, such as the Great Minds in STEM, Viva Technology Program, which will engage approximately 12,000 underrepresented and underserved K-12 students, teachers and parents this coming year.
Matt Blakely, director, Motorola Solutions Foundation
“Each year, I am truly amazed by the ground-breaking work our grant recipients accomplish through the Innovation Generation program. These organizations are playing an active role in developing the future generation of scientists, engineers and innovators in the United States. As a company that’s dedicated to helping people be their best in the moments that matter, we could not be more honored to support such a worthy group of grantees.”
About Motorola Solutions Foundation
The Motorola Solutions Foundation is the charitable and philanthropic arm of Motorola Solutions. With employees located around the globe, Motorola Solutions seeks to benefit the communities where it operates. The company achieves this by making strategic grants, forging strong community partnerships and fostering innovation. The Motorola Solutions Foundation focuses its funding on public safety, disaster relief, employee programs and education, especially science, technology, engineering and math programming. For more information on Motorola Solutions Corporate and Foundation giving, visit www.motorolasolutions.com/giving.
Notes To Editors
Motorola Solutions Foundation
MOTOROLA, MOTO, MOTOROLA SOLUTIONS and the Stylized M Logo are trademarks or registered trademarks of Motorola Trademark Holdings, LLC and are used under license. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners. ©2012 Motorola Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.
About Motorola Solutions
Motorola Solutions is a leading provider of mission-critical communication solutions and services for enterprise and government customers. Through leading-edge innovation and communications technology, it is a global leader that enables its customers to be their best in the moments that matter. Motorola Solutions trades on the New York Stock Exchange under the ticker “MSI.” To learn more, visit www.motorolasolutions.com
. For ongoing news, please visit our media center
or subscribe to our news feed