SCHAUMBURG, Ill. – April 30, 2012 – Motorola Solutions, Inc. (NYSE: MSI) today released the findings of a survey that demonstrates increasing interest from retail, hospitality and field service industries for mobile Point of Sale (mPOS) solutions as a core strategy for improving customer service. Retailers in particular showed a strong interest in deploying mPOS solutions over the next couple years to provide shoppers with more personalized service and payment convenience while gaining countless opportunities to close the sale.
Retailers are embracing mPOS pilots and trials to eliminate the high cost of traditional cash registers and accept customer payments – including magnetic stripe and chip and PIN-based credit, debit, gift and loyalty cards, as well as near field communications (NFC) payments via mobile phone – wherever and whenever needed. Fifty-five percent of those surveyed even plan to incorporate the ability to take cash as part of their mPOS operations. The mPOS allows businesses to offer customers brand new conveniences that improve the quality and speed of service and increase loyalty.
- Sixty-six percent of retail respondents are interested in mPOS, while 42 percent of retail respondents are currently piloting or starting trials within the next 36 months, and the majority is focused on using mPOS for sales associates on the store floor or line-busting.
- More than seven in 10 (71 percent) retailers that indicated interest in mPOS are using or planning to use it to improve customer service and also intend to provide access to inventory management (51 percent), pricing (48 percent) and merchandise returns (42 percent) applications.
- In December 2011, Motorola's holiday shopper survey found that one-third of store visits ended with an average of $125 unspent due to missed opportunities to purchase. The survey also found that inefficient payment processes were one of the leading contributors to those lost sales. More than 43 percent of shoppers agreed that their shopping experience improved when store associates used mPOS devices.
- Sixteen percent of surveyed retailers currently have an mPOS solution deployed, while less than 9 percent have completely mobile or portable checkout systems.
- On average, retail respondents anticipated replacing more than 36 percent of their fixed POS as a result of migrating to an mPOS.
Michelle Crissey, Customer Solutions lead, Motorola Solutions
“As retailers battle for shoppers’ hearts and wallets, mPOS serves as a valuable tool that can help turn browsing into buying. When the power of mPOS is in the hands of every retail associate, shopping becomes an experience and associates are always in a position to make the sale.”
SURVEY BACKGROUND AND METHODOLOGY:
- The survey was fielded from December 2011-February 2012, targeted to full-time experienced employees in the retail, hospitality and field service industries in North America, United Kingdom, France and Germany.
- The survey was designed to reveal interests and experiences with the use of mPOS solutions.
- 541 respondents completed the survey without knowledge of Motorola Solutions’ sponsorship.
- The e-Rewards® Opinion Panel, operated by Research Now, is the largest "by-invitation-only" online research panel serving more than 900 research firms with more than 3 million respondent members.
Website: Motorola Solutions Mobile Point of Sale Solutions
Website: Motorola Solutions Retail Solutions
Survey Results: Motorola Solutions Mobile POS Study
Notes To Editors
MOTOROLA, MOTO, MOTOROLA SOLUTIONS and the Stylized M Logo are trademarks or registered trademarks of Motorola Trademark Holdings, LLC and are used under license. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners. ©2012 Motorola Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.
About Motorola Solutions
Motorola Solutions is a leading provider of mission-critical communication solutions and services for enterprise and government customers. Through leading-edge innovation and communications technology, it is a global leader that enables its customers to be their best in the moments that matter. Motorola Solutions trades on the New York Stock Exchange under the ticker “MSI.” To learn more, visit www.motorolasolutions.com
. For ongoing news, please visit our media center
or subscribe to our news feed