SCHAUMBURG, Ill. – March 19, 2012 – Motorola Solutions, Inc. (NYSE: MSI) today announced a $22 million contract with ComEd for a 900 MHz ASTRO® 25 digital trunked radio system to provide better coverage, reliability and audio quality for ComEd’s full service territory throughout northern Illinois, including the greater Chicagoland area.
- The Motorola 900 MHz ASTRO 25 digital trunked radio system will provide voice dispatch and integrated data to ComEd field workers, promoting safety during critical power outage events such as storm restoration, where potentially dangerous line-switching occurs.
- Motorola will enhance ComEd’s existing 900 MHz land mobile radio system with a 25-site, 900 MHz ASTRO 25 digital radio system for improved coverage across 11,400 square miles in northern Illinois, including the city of Chicago.
- ComEd’s ASTRO 25 digital radio system will be the first 900 MHz Project 25 (P25)-based radio system for a utility deployed in the U.S. Until now, utility companies using the 900 MHz radio spectrum have not had access to P25 standards-based technology.
- The 900 MHz ASTRO 25 system will utilize Motorola’s XTL and XTS series of digital mobile and portable radios and GTR8000 base station radios and will offer voice, integrated data and GPS location capabilities.
- Benefits of ComEd’s ASTRO 25 trunked digital system include:
- Enhanced audio quality for clearer, more reliable communications over a wider coverage footprint
- Real-time voice dispatch for improved response during critical power outage events, resulting in improved communication of system conditions that will aid in safe system operations
- Integrated data that enables over-the-air programming of radios to improve worker efficiency in the field, while lowering cost of ownership
James M. Conway, vice president, Distribution System Operations, ComEd
“ComEd is pleased that we can deploy the latest ASTRO 25 technology, while leveraging our current system. In the event of a major power outage, the new Motorola Solutions system will help provide our field operators with timely and accurate information, while keeping them connected to restore power to our customers safely, quickly and efficiently.”
Tom Gleason, vice president, Energy Markets, Motorola Solutions
“Motorola Solutions has provided operational support to ComEd for more than 20 years, and we are committed to delivering the most advanced communications solutions to help its teams communicate effectively and improve productivity in the field. The 900 MHz ASTRO 25 voice and integrated solution leverages ComEd’s existing network to provide ease of migration and better coverage to enhance worker safety, improve efficiencies in critical situations and lower cost of ownership in the long run.”
Commonwealth Edison Company (ComEd) is a unit of Chicago-based Exelon Corporation (NYSE: EXC), the nation’s leading competitive energy provider, with approximately 6.6 million customers. ComEd provides service to approximately 3.8 million customers across northern Illinois, or 70 percent of the state’s population.
ComEd Media Contact:
ComEd Media Relations