IDSTEIN, Germany – Mar. 23, 2011 – Motorola Solutions (NYSE: MSI) has been awarded a contract to build a TETRA digital two-way radio network for the local public transport services of the city of Halle an der Saale in Germany. The framework contract with the Hallesche Verkehrs-AG (HAVAG) includes the installation of the TETRA infrastructure as well as the delivery of approximately 350 TETRA radios.
The private TETRA system from Motorola provides a secure communication platform for voice and data transmission that is independent from public cellular networks. The TETRA solution will enable HAVAG to offer its passengers an enhanced service through real-time information about timetable changes at bus and tram stops.
Motorola is installing the TETRA digital two-way radio system together with its partner INIT GmbH, a specialist in telematics and electronic payment systems for bus and rail services. The TETRA system will be integrated into HAVAGs new Intermodal Transport Control System (ITCS), which replaces the company's existing computerised operational control system. The rollout of the Motorola TETRA system will take place in the second quarter of 2011, and the system will be fully operational by the end of the year.
- The entire fleet of vehicles operated by HAVAG will be connected to the new TETRA digital two-way radio system via radio telephony terminals.
- HAVAG also provides services to a number of surrounding municipalities such as Schkopau, Merseburg, Leuna and Bad Dürrenberg, which will also benefit from the system.
- The TETRA solution from Motorola enables the public transport company to maintain stable and secure channels of communication between the command and control centre and its employees in the field at all times.
- The new solution enables service personnel to be contacted whenever necessary and coordinated efficiently. During any emergency situations, HAVAG staff will have a secure and safe communications system that they can rely on.
- The integration of the TETRA system into HAVAG’s ITCS allows the control centre to efficiently manage the traffic throughout the zone. Controllers can respond rapidly and adequately to breakdowns or obstructions as well as change or adjust services to ensure punctuality.
- The high quality of audio transmission is an immediately noticeable difference between the TETRA digital radio technology and its predecessor, analogue technology.
- The TETRA network allows all employees to communicate via collective calls (control centre to all), route calls (to all vehicles on a particular route) or dynamic group calls (for groups that change on short notice).
- TETRA is a cellular radio system and allows seamless handovers between cells – a call is therefore passed on automatically from cell to cell throughout the network without interruption.
- One key reason why HAVAG decided to choose a TETRA digital radio system was the high level of security offered by the technology. Each TETRA terminal has a unique TETRA Subscriber Identity (TSI) with a 48 bit code. This allows the system to identify each terminal and to give access only to authorised participants.
Erhard Krüger, division manager, Infrastructure, Hallesche Verkehrs-AG (HAVAG)
“The technological demands placed on operational control systems in public transport services are rising continuously. In the long term, it was inevitable that the system would need modernisation. The new TETRA system allows us to coordinate our employees much more efficiently and at the same time offer our customers an improved service.“
Dr. Jürgen Greschner, chairman of the board of INIT AG and managing director of INIT GmbH
“Over the years, Motorola has gathered enormous experience in the area of TETRA. We have already had some very successful partnerships with Motorola, so there was no obstacle to cooperating with them in the implementation of the radio system for Hallesche Verkehrs-AG.“
Klaus-Dieter Drossel, sales director, Key Accounts, Motorola GmbH
“We have already proven our expertise with TETRA systems in the transport sector, for example, through the project we implemented for the local public transport company in Nuremberg (Verkehrs-Aktiengesellschaft Nürnberg). This sector has huge potential. So we are very pleased to have been awarded the contract to supply our system to the local public transport services operated by the city of Halle. TETRA technology offers enormous advantages into local public transport services – for both customers and companies.” Nuremberg (Verkehrs-Aktiengesellschaft Nürnberg). This sector has huge potential. So we are very pleased to have been awarded the contract to supply our system to the local public transport services operated by the city of Halle. TETRA technology offers enormous advantages into local public transport services – for both customers and companies.”
Website: Motorola Solutions
MOTOROLA, MOTOROLA SOLUTIONS and the Stylized M Logo are trademarks or registered trademarks of Motorola Trademark Holdings, LLC and are used under license. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners. ©2017 Motorola Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.